Hundreds of retired soldiers, supporting right-wing candidate Keiko Fujimori, demonstrated on Tuesday (June 22) in Lima to denounce « cheats » presumed during the second round of the presidential election in Peru, the official results of which are still not known.
“We want the truth, we want [l’autorité électorale] examines all appeals that have been filed ”, said retired general Fernando Ordoñez, during a rally in the capital where demonstrators carried Peruvian flags and signs with anti-Communist slogans.
Many former soldiers had put on their uniform, sometimes wearing the beret or the saber, noted journalists from Agence France-Presse (AFP).
“Communism cannot enter this country. We are a rich country where there are inequalities, we must work to resolve them, but not in this way ”former ship captain Jorge del Aguila told AFP.
Examination of appeals
The demonstrators took up the accusations of fraud launched by the candidate of the populist right Keiko Fujimori, in an unfavorable ballot in the second round of the presidential election on June 6. After the counting of 100% of the ballots, the candidate of the radical left, Pedro Castillo, a teacher and trade unionist, leads the second round with 50.12% of the vote, an advance of about 44,000 votes over his rival (49.87%).
The National Electoral Jury (JNE), which must announce the results, is still studying the appeals lodged by the candidates. Mme Fujimori notably called for the invalidation of several tens of thousands of votes. At the end of the vote, the electoral observation mission of the Organization of American States (OAS), however, qualified the ballot as « positive », without “Serious irregularities”. On Tuesday, the President of the Council of Ministers and number two in the government, Violeta Bermudez, recalled the conclusions of the OAS mission and reiterated that the vote had been transparent “No evidence of fraud”.
The call to protest was launched on social media after interim Peruvian president centrist Francisco Sagasti strongly condemned calls made to the military by former soldiers to prevent Pedro Castillo from being proclaimed president. . “It is unacceptable (…) that this group of individuals retired from the army think they can encourage the high command of the army, air and navy to break with the rule of law ”, said Mr. Sagasti, who was not a candidate for his succession. Many retired officers interpreted this statement as veiled support for the radical left candidate.